Sunday, June 8, 2008

Wild West, part 2

A week later, when Allen was away at camp, Emily and I had the most special time that made me feel my motherhood intensely. She probably thought I was nuts getting all sentimental on her. We went and got our nails done together. At a kids spa. Little tiny flowers painted on my big toe. All I could think of was when I was pregnant with Allen, how I got my nails done weekly and how I hoped that eventually I would have a girl so that we would be able to sit through the hour together and both come out feeling beautiful. Never could have imagined having such a sunny little girl who just giggles her way through life and doesn't mind being with me. And she is GIFTED in the art of selecting polish color for me. She grabbed a color and I thought, "YUCK!" but when they put it on, it was exactly what I had been in the mood for, summery and bright and looking so good on me. All the presents in the world can't replace relationship. I feel so lucky to be her mom, and I told her so. She replies, "You're the best mom in the world!" I wish I could carve that in bronze against the future, and reply" Sweetie, I just try to do the best I can."
She grins and crushes me in a hug.
Soon I was to find out that Best Mom In The World would also involve a 12 Gauge shotgun. Don't know if I've mentioned our pal the coyote, but he has been visiting frequently at the run-through to pick up some chicken nuggets. One time he was charging our pool area (chasing Chloe, who had been barking at him) and ended up in a scrap with both Chloe and Roger. Roger has a bum knee (Mastiffs are prone to injury when they charge around at high speed) and he ended up getting pretty scratched up (bit?) before he and Chloe were done driving the coyote away. After determining that Roger was o.k. , my beloved husband went out and bought ME a shotgun. Yes, ME. I know. So far I am the only one who has spotted this creature in our household. My friend standing next to me on the deck saw it, but Brian has never seen it, nor the neighbor who comes faithfully to hunt for it after it visits. So after a demonstration of ammunition choices and loading procedure and the safety locking device, I was entrusted with a gun.
Still haven't got the coyote. It's been two weeks. I did see him again today, and I can tell you the next time my guineas start screaming and running, I AM READY to get that gun pronto and come to help. I had at least 1 minute's warning today, if I just would have moved faster I would have got him.
Did get a chance to shoot a possum. Poor thing. Caught it in a humane trap, and it was spinning its head incessantly in circles instead of crouching down and just hissing at me. Probably rabid. Absolutely hated doing it, but at least I once again proved I had the stomach to do what had to be done. I've turned loose too many possums not to know a sick one when I see it.
The gun wasn't as bad as I thought it would be- at least not with birdshot. My neighbor has offered to set up some targets and some clay pigeons once the weather settles down and I am definately going to take him up on it.
So, you can see why I feel like I'm on a personal frontier of sorts. What on earth am I going to just suck it up and learn to do next?!
Oh, by the way- did I mention that I'm going to Ethiopia in July with my church on missions?
Yep, really. Pray for me. God has the most amazing way of preparing you for what's ahead and with what's been going on 'round here the last few months, I've no idea what's in store in Africa.
Nite nite for now...

1 comment:

gingerhillery@mac.com said...

It is a bout time we got some news from the range! What next! Hope we can see you before you head to Africa. Or after you get back with stories to tell. Miss you. Ginger