Sunday, November 2, 2008

George and Martha


Turkeys are the delight of my life. (After my children and husband, of course!) I have named our pair George and Martha (initially after the cartoon hippo pair, but now more after our first president and his wife- they are both so regal.) You simply haven't lived until you have seen a tom turkey strut his stuff. First of all, picture him, tail fully raised, all body feathers puffed out and wings stretched low until they almost drag the ground behind him. Then, picture a fan dancer and the way she moves. Step, step, pause. Flip the tail the other direction. Step, step, pause. Flip. Step, step, pause. GOBBLE GOBBLE GOBBLE. (Just in case you didn't notice the show) Step, Step, pause. FLIP.
You get the idea. As soon as I get a sunny day, I'll try hard to shoot some video I can post. He is just too much fun for words. He is now our resident guardian, and gobbles at any new sight on the property. The goose, Pilgrim is still vocal at strangers and the guineas are as rambunctious as ever, but George is top dog. (turkey) Pilgrim has actually calmed quite a bit since his arrival. I think it helps having another species that is a large male bird to "help" him guard the turf. He doesn't really have to compete with him, but he knows George won't tolerate any nonsense from predators. The guineas are just noisy in the evenings as they return from eating bugs in the woods to roost over the chicken house. There are about 12 now and with rumors of the coyote being wounded by my neighbor, I have high hopes of them making it through until spring. Even with the racket, they keep the ticks and ants away and for that I am eternally grateful. George sleeps on top of the chicken house with his lady tucked safely away inside. I absolutely love being gobbled at as I start my day.

No comments: